In order to carry a concealed handgun in the state of Colorado you must have a permit.
Return documents and application to:
Washington County Sheriff’s Office
26861 US Highway 34
Akron, CO 80720
The documents must be read thoroughly, and the application printed in ink or typed and completed in full. Please use additional sheets of paper if necessary to respond to the questions. If the application is not fully completed, it cannot be processed.
An applicant shall complete the permit application form and return it, in person, to the Sheriff of the county in which the applicant resides, to the Sheriff of the county in which the applicant maintains a secondary residence or owns and or leases real property used by the applicant in a business, or to the Sheriff that previouly issued a permit to the applicant. The applicant shall sign the completed permit application in person, before a notary public, upon a sworn oath that the applicant knows the contents of the permit application and that the information contained the permit application is true and correct.
An applicant who knowingly and intentionally makes a false or misleading statement on a permit application or deliberately omits any material information requested. Commits perjury as described in Colorado Revised Statute (C.R.S 18-8-503) Upon conviction, the applicant shall be punished as provided in 18-1.3-501 of the Colorado Revised Statute. In addition, the applicant shall be denied the right to obtain or possess a permit, and the Sheriff shall revoke the applicant’s permit if issued prior to conviction.
The information portion of the packet should be kept for your future reference.
In addition to the completed application form you must submit:
- A $52.50 processing fee in the form of a cashier’s check or money order, made payable to the Colorado Bureau of Investigation (CBI). This fee pays for a state and national criminal history check (fingerprints) and for an Insta- check (NICS) per Statute. This is required for all regular civilian applicants.
- A $100.00 processing fee in the form of cash, cashier’s check, money order or personal check made payable to Washington County Sheriff’s Office. This fee pays for forms, ID cards, local criminal history checks, and other administrative costs.
- Proof of residency, (Colorado Driver’s License, Colorado ID Card or Military ID card and Duty Orders)
- Documentary evidence demonstrating competence with a handgun as specified in Section 18-12-203(1)(h) of Colorado Revised Statute.
- Two completed fingerprint cards. It is required that all applicants be fingerprinted to conduct a thorough background investigation and comply with state laws.
- Photograph for your ID.
Photograph and fingerprints will be taken at the time the applicant submits the application.